Friday, December 18, 2015

Eat like you do on the trail

Eat like you do on the Trail

Simple,  Frequent, High Energy Meals


Think like a distance hiker for a second.  But it's Wednesday in the middle of your work week and there's not a trail in sight except for maybe a paper trail of memos and reports.  Think about your meals; what you eat and how often.  So you eat oatmeal in the morning with dehydrated fruit, maybe a pre-workout powder to add to your drink.  There's a bag of trail mix in your cargo pocket for day snacking.  I even saw two Appalachian Trail thru-hikers in Maryland eating peanut butter right out of the jar with a spoon while on the move.  Lunchtime hits, you want to eat something quick and not too filling because you will never get going again if you put yourself in a food coma.  A couple hours later, it's snack time and maybe you have a strawberry Shakeology, full of phytonutrients and super foods.  Then comes dinner.  You want something nutritious, something with a little protein to help you recover and get going again for the next day on the trail.  And throughout the day you are sipping on water from the tube that comes from your backpack.  You don't even realize you've already gone through the 2 liters and now you need to search for another stream to filter a refill.  

I might just be speaking for myself but why do we plan so carefully for a trip like this but when we get home it's back to convenience, over eating, and/or under eating.  And water?  I just can't remember to drink enough water!  I drink more when its hard to find and I have to filter it myself by hand.  

Maybe that's the answer to my problem.  The main reason I hit the trail is to feel human, be in nature, and for the physical accomplishment when you reach that summit.  I have to start treating every day like I have 10 miles ahead of me on foot with a 5000 foot elevation change.  Now, I don't think it would be right for me to pack a bag on Sunday before the workweek and carry my food with me through Friday.  The boss may not like that too much.  And me, I am a police officer.  I already carry an extra 30-40 pounds of gear every day.  

Fact: human brain development reached an astounding rate of growth when our ancestors began eating meat!  That says a ton about what the protein and other vitamins and minerals can do for your health.  

For the longest time I believed this was the ultimate argument for the omnivore diet.  You crazy vegans.... I eat meat so I must be waaay smarter than you.  Then I got smart and opened a book, or two.  

The reason the meat eating thing made humans progress so rapidly, come to find out, is that meat is a dense, slow to digest form of food that keeps you energized and sustained for a longer period of time.  As opposed to nuts and berries and whatever it was that you could dig up that day.  

Still think I am defending omnivores?  Fast forward to modern times.  Go to a grocery store.  Is there anything you can't find?  Our society has solved the problem of food the shortage.  We no longer need to fight for every meal.  It is way too easy to get everything humanly necessary, and its right around most corners or right downtown. You literally can get everything you need to live a really healthy life, full of energy and brain development simply by eating plants.  In fact your body needs to work so hard to digest meat it makes your PH too acidic, and an acidic PH is linked to creating the perfect environment for cancer!

So am I a vegan.  Oh hell no!  you will never.... never get me to put down the knife.  Never!  I even built a huge smoker in my back yard with two, 4 foot racks so that I can treat myself and my family to the best damn ribs and pulled pork you ever had.  Don't get me started on that.  

I am a firm believer in a very non-strict diet that consist of whatever you want in moderation and everything you need.  Exclusions: soda and fast food.  And don't get me started on that either.

So when I am on the trail this is how I eat.  The following is an example of the average day for me and my companions on the trail.  I will give you two recipes for each day just for options.  Most of the work is done ahead of time, before we leave, and carefully portioned out so that we are all carrying our share, and only what we need.  Sounds like the perfect way to live.  Everything you need and no waste.

Try this for one month.  Live like you do on the trail, high energy food, no waste, and plenty of exercise.  I think you will be amazed at how you feel.


Photo by Sean Ranieri Photography
(That's me flipping the kielbasa!)

Breakfast:  

  • Oatmeal.  None of that quick instant crap that's half sugar.  Real steal cut or Irish style oatmeal.  Add honey for sweetness and dried fruit.  I like cranberries.  Also add a little ground flax seed to help with digestion and "regularity."  One cup of this mix is all you need.
  • Pancakes.  For one serving you will need:
    • 1/4 cup of finely ground oatmeal (we have a really good blender at home that works great!)
    • 1 T of ground flax seed
    • 1/4 cup organic whole wheat flour
    • 1 t of baking powder
    • 1 T of honey
    • 1/4 cup dried bananas
    • Mix all ingredients and add 1/2 cup filtered water 
  • Coffee!  Starbucks actually makes a really good instant coffee in a serving sized pouch.

Snack 1:

  • Have a bag of homemade trail mix with you at all times.  Mix together all ingredients.  Feel free to add any amount of any of your favorite nuts or fruit to this mix.  This will definitely keep you going all day.  Multiply this by 4 and you should have enough to ration out for the week.  
    • 1/4 cup peanuts
    • 1/4 cup sunflower seeds (shelled)
    • 1/4 cup shaved almonds
    • 1/4 cup shaved coconut
    • 1/2 cup dried fruit (just buy a mixed bag if you don't have a dehydrator)
    • 1/4 cup M&Ms (because, what the hell)

Lunch: 

  • We try to make lunch light and quick.  If you can find a way to keep crackers safe (like an old Pringles can) then try this:
    • Cut 4 inches of summer sausage per person
    • 3 inches of cheddar cheese
    • 15 multi-grain crackers
    • Either be classy and cut a slice for each cracker, or just take a bite.  We just take a bite.
  • Tuna fish:  They make those sealed pouches with tuna that are a perfect serving for a great mid day meal.  My favorite on the Tahoe Rim Trail was the lemon herb.  You could even eat this on the go with a spork... right from the bag.  It is much lighter than a can and way easier to open.  

Snack 2:  

  • In addition the all day snacking on trail mix, I always bring enough of a good quality powdered meal replacement drink, like Shakeology.  They also have a no dye, no added crap performance line that is great for extra energy and recovery on the trail.


Dinner:

  • First night:  STEAK!  We always marinade a big old honkin cut of meat and throw it in the freezer for the first night on the trail.  This way it stays cold all day and it is usually just about defrosted by dinner time.  Throw in some asparagus and quinoa and you got yourself a meal.
  • Lemon Chicken and Rice:
    • I know they make canned chicken and have not seen, yet, a chicken in the pouch like I have with the tuna.... but maybe I need to look harder.
    • find a nice long grain rice mix
    • Cook the rice with filtered water 
    • Cook the chicken with cracked pepper and Himalayan salt to taste then add 1 t powdered garlic, and 1 t of True Lemon (a lemon extract).  Cook until the chicken is warm.
  • Extra:  There are always those nights where you don't feel like a gourmet chef and are just too tired.  Stay away from Ramon Noodles please, and other high sodium low nutrient meals.  They do make whole dehydrated meals that are pretty tasty and actually not all that bad for you.  Chicken and mashed potatoes and beef stew are two of my favorites.  

*Always stay Hydrated.  A good way to gauge how much water you need a day is to take half your weight in ounces.  For example I am 170lbs.  half that... 85.  Drink 85oz of water a day.  Drink more the more active you are.  And stay away from sugar drinks like Gatorade and Powerade.  They are great for electrolyte replacement but the sugar content is ridiculously bad for you.  Water it down maybe by half or more and it should be good.  

**Always bring a flask of whiskey for the last day/ end of the work week to share in your accomplishments.  It's worth the weight.  (see photo above... though it didn't quite make it to the last day.  




No comments:

Post a Comment